Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Getting To the End


As we approach New Year's Eve, I've read many articles describing the events of the past ten years, believing that 2009 is the END of the decade. Spoilsports remind us that the decade doesn't actually end until December 31, 2010.
To bolster their argument, they offer up the following: say you have 9 cents. You won't truly have a dime until you add one more penny, bringing the total up to 10 cents. So it is with years and decades. In other words, you may have 9 years (2009), but you truly won't have a decade until you add another year to bring it up to 10.
Yes, this is true. But, in common practice, a lot of people (not me; I don't really care) prefer to believe the first decade of the 21st century is over. I can see their point. When we speak of the "80's", we actually say they took place from 1980 to 1989 (we don't include the year 1990 when speaking of the 20th century's ninth decade).
So it is I believe with THIS decade.
While technically correct, the "the decade isn't really over yet" crowd comes across as cranky perfectionists who want to rain on others' parades. They would win bar bats, but that's all. It's like the old "which state is farthest east?"
Technically speaking, it is Alaska. If you don't believe me, look at a map. You'll see a portion of Alaska is actually WEST of 180 degrees (meaning it's EAST). But, common practice says that MAINE is the farthest east.
Whatever. Like I said, I don't care.
In any event, Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment